A common problem we get calls for at PuroClean Certified Restoration whenever the weather turns cold is homeowners who need water damage cleanup due to frozen pipes. When water freezes, it can expand up to 9% which can create pressures between 50,000 and 114,000 psi (pounds per square inch). This is more than enough pressure to burst both plastic and metal pipes.
Since most pipes are hidden behind walls or under floors, the potential for damage is very large. In older homes that have been renovated, foam or blown-in insulation can actually create additional problems by insulating heat away from pipes that lie adjacent to exterior walls. Another issue homeowners in Southwest Missouri can face is power loss due to ice storms, which can result in lots of damage if the temperature stays low enough to start freezing pipes.
Here are some suggestions from the team at PuroClean Certified Restoration to prevent or limit damage from frozen pipes:
- If you are leaving town in the winter months, you should shut off your water supply and drain both your pipes and appliances.
- Discuss installing “water bug” sensors with your home security company.
- If you will be away for an extended period, have a trusted friend check in occasionally to insure that your home is okay.
- Have a list of trusted professionals, such as PuroClean Certified Restoration, who you can contact if something ever goes wrong.
- Get your HVAC system serviced and inspected to insure it’s operating correctly.
- Do not turn off your HVAC system or lower the thermostat below 55 degrees.
- Remove all exterior hoses from your home.
- All sump pumps should be inspected yearly and it should have a backup power source.
For any property damage that you might experience ranging from frozen pipes, fire/smoke damage, sewage backup or mold remediation, please call the professionals at PuroClean Certified Restoration. We are “The Paramedics of Property Damage” and we’re always available 24/7 to return your life back to normal.