Preventing A Flooded Basement in Springfield Missouri
Unwanted water in your basement is a nightmare for any homeowner. A flooded basement in Springfield Missouri can cause the space to be unusable, ruin your personal belongings and cause safety concerns. Water can occur from heavy rainfall or from blockages in your sewer system. If your basement is wet here are some things to expect in the removal process and tips to prevent problems in the future.
Rising flood waters can cause serious health concerns. If your basement floods, follow these rules to make sure your family stays safe.
1. Standing water in your basement can contain harmful bacteria. If there is an inch of water or more covering the floor it is best to only enter the area after the water has been pumped out.
2. Avoid touching electrical outlets. If possible shut off electrical power and don’t walk through floodwater to avoid electrocution. If you must venture down into a flooded basement, wear waterproof rubber boots.
3. Determine the cause of your flooded basement. Sometimes the source of unwanted water is obvious –as with a burst water line, for example. In other cases, water may be leaking into your basement in different areas.
4. Have standing water pumped out as soon as possible. Carpets and upholstery must be dried out immediately. If they have been wet for more than 48 hours they should be thrown away. So, don’t delay calling in the professionals.
5. If you have a sump pump installed, wait for it to drain the floodwater as soon as electricity can be safely restored
Prevention in the Future
1. Ensure that your drainage systems and plumbing are functioning properly.
2. Check and clean your roof’s gutters and downspouts. Divert rainwater flowing 6 feet away from the house and foundation.
3. Inspect for seal openings or cracks in the walls, floors, foundations and windows of your house.
4. Make sure that your septic tank and sewer are inspected and cleaned at the beginning of every season. During heavy rainfall, clogged sewers and over-taxed septic tanks can become a disaster.
5. Install a sump pump that automatically drains water from your basement and prevents water from rising.
Even a single basement flooding experience is one too many. If your home has experienced flooding issues and needs professional water damage restoration in Springfield Missouri, call the leaders in any property damage repairs ranging from fire and smoke damage, water damage, sewage backups or mold remediation. With restoration services you can always count on, the professionals at PuroClean Certified Restoration are always available around the clock.